Monday, June 21, 2010

22 Miles of Ups and Downs

We've gotten 2 long runs in since this post. We decided to still get up to 24 miles for our long run. So long runs went/ are going like this - 18, 18, 13 (See Jane), 20, 22, District Convention, 24, 2 week taper, 26.2.
We did our 22 miler last night after meeting, finishing up just after sunset. If you are familiar w/our area, it went like this - Started at the kids school off San Simeon to Ygnacio trail, out and back to Treat, then to the Canal trail, to Iron Horse, to Stone Valley where we turned around and did the reverse - Iron Horse to Whole Foods potty, then continued to the Canal trail to Heather Farms where we turned in and headed towards the Chevron on the corner of Ygnacio and San Carlos. (got kids dinner and treats, Beth some sugar and Gatorade and a potty) Then when Em finished dinner and could ride her bike again, headed down San Carlos about 2 streets, then turn rt up behind the hospital and connected into the Ygnacio Trail, followed it all the way back to Citrus where we re-enter the school neighborhood and make our way back to the car.
This was not a fun run. For one, I am definitely and early morning long runner. Starting at the end of the day after doing, well, just the normal stuff of being a mom w/3 kids and meeting and meals and stuff....by the time we get home from meeting on Sunday, I'm ready for dinner and bed. My legs were still sore from, well I actually am not sure, but they started the run tired. Plus, I have over 700 miles on my current shoes and the past 3 long runs have had a lot of pain in my right foot. It starts in my foot, then knee, then hip, then because it effects my stride, my other hip, knee, foot start to have pain. Ad to this the joy of running with stomach cramps and having to hit potties along the run, and well.....like i said, it was not a fun run. Several times along the first 5 miles I said to Brian I really didn't see being able to run 22 miles tonight. Maybe we could run 13 today and 9 tomorrow? Maybe we could run 5 today and 17 tomorrow? Being supportive as always, he started throwing out options. "If we run to x, it'll be 10 miles, if we go to xx, it'll be 8 miles, how far do you want to go?" Hearing any options made me mad(because even though I knew I couldn't go 22 miles, I didn't want to hear options for less than that) and I didn't want to make a choice right that second. I just wanted to run until I couldn't go any more and then turn around. So we kept going.
As always, it was more of a mental block than anything. I know I can finish 22 miles, even with the deck stacked against me as it felt last night. But if I'm not mentally in the game, it feels impossible. I really couldn't imagine finishing the run as bad as the first few miles felt, I just knew it wasn't going to happen. But, once we crossed through the tunnel under Ygnacio and I knew we were in the final stretch, it felt so good! My body felt awful, but the satisfaction of knowing I didn't' let myself quit felt amazing. As we headed up the hill we were rewarded with an amazing sunset, as well as the kids getting to see a bunny rabbit eating next to the trail which is always a treat. Then there's the moment you come around a corner and see your car parked there waiting for you and you know how close you are to being done. Last night I even let out a big WOO HOO! THERE'S THE CAR!! Pure joy : )
When we got home around 9, I really just wanted to go straight to bed. After my stomach issues, eating was the last thing on my mind. But as always, Brian is the voice of reason. Of course you need to refuel after a long run, even if your stomach is begging you not to. I am powerless against his offer to make his Ginger Chicken. So he cooked, I made an awesome tent for the kids, got them settled in for bed while watching Walle on the DVD player in their tent, showered, and had a great dinner! Life was good!

2 comments: