Sunday, June 6, 2010

See Jane Run Fun

Melissa, Michelle P., me, Tina K, Angie K, and Bekah

How are you guys feeling today? I will openly admit that was a tough run for me! I really struggled that second half to keep pushing myself. Who knew it gets that hot in Alameda, right on the water?? I've never run that course w/o wind, but I have now! I think we probably all have a bit more color in our skin that we did 2 days ago! Aside from the heat, and a few organizational issues, what a fun day! I hope you are all proud of yourselves! If your not, you should be, that was a huge challenge, and you all did great! I had a blast doing the 80's warm ups with a few of you. Looking back at the day, that was one of the highlights! Another was that I did make it back in time to see the kids race(my finish time was 2:03). Although I was too tired to actually run the mile race with them, I was able to hang out near the finish, drink my Jamba Juice and eat a bag of pop chips, and see my kids, my niece, and the Behrens kids come down the home stretch. They all looked so happy! A shout out to Claire for running w/Sophie! They all got their shirts and medals and were on top of the world. Emma and Spencer did great in their 5k also. Brian and Spencer ran it together, while Emma headed out on her own. She tripped over something and fell at one point and from what I hear she had quite a crowd helping her up. She finished in 36 minutes, which is pretty great! Sabrina A (and a few other sis's I don't know) ran the 5k as well. Sabrina, I didn't get to see you after, but judging from your pictures, you still looked happy afterwards, so I think it went well?! A shout out, too, to my amazing sis in law! She is a WA runner and was worried about the heat. We had been telling her Alameda doesn't really get that hot and that she would be fine...oops! It was very hot, and she still did amazing! She looked so happy at the end, and had some energy left for high-fiving the kids.
We hung out for quite a while afterwards just soaking in the event, talking with friends, taking pictures, getting our free stuff, and watching finishers come in. For me, one of the highlights is always watching the people finish who have been out there for a while. Although I may have finished in a quicker time, I see the determination on their faces, and I know they are pushing themselves way harder then I did, and that is such an inspiration for me to always give 100%.
We then headed home, had lunch, changed, and headed to the sis n laws hotel for some pool time. It felt great to lay around in the lounge chair in the shade. We were then treated to some amazingly yummy Mexican food and Baskin Robbins. It was a great day!
For all our pics of the day, go here.

10 comments:

  1. It went great! I didn't start to feel that bad until the last half. And the last two miles were killer! It was still fun though. The free stuff was the highlight :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How'd your mom do? I'm pretty sure I saw you finish, but I missed your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got 2:30. My mom got 2:37. The heat was so brutal! I did better during the practice run haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, the heat was brutal, but you both did amazing! She must have ran right past me, you all look so different in sports clothes!
    Good job to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats all you hard workers! Sorry we didn't get to chat after (awesome time btw!), we did see your family at least. I had a blast, even though it was so hot & I think I'm hooked...
    Matt & I got to catch up with some old friends from his childhood. The sis in your pic w/bib # 892 is related thru marriage to a guy Matt knew way back, so that was really cool too:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for inspiring us/me to do this! It was great...dispite the horrible pain the last 2 miles and the pain today...so glad I did it! I feel WAY more prepared for future ones (knowing what to expect, what to carry, what to wear on feet!!!) These blisters are brutal...but make me feel so proud! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yah, forgot to add...I too enjoyed the 80's warm up...Michelle is always good for a laugh groovin to the tunes!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes we had a total blast and I am already encouraging my friends that weren't with us, to join us next time. It's an amazing feeling of accomplishment and is worth the pain! And it was so awesome to see your whole family take part in the day. Thanks for encouraging us to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a great time as well! It was great meeting everyone! The pain was worth the accomplishment! Thanks for all the encouragement.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete