Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Brazen Racing and SMD's Trail Challenge, 2012




So the short version is I came, I ran, I finished, and I went home.

More details, you say?? Ok.

It was a crazy busy morning due to this being  a Sunday race. Brian ended up having a meeting from 10 - 12, and then we all had to be at a meeting at 1...and we have one car...so, yeah.

Brian took me to the race at 8 a.m., walked into the park with me and visited with a few people, then headed home to get ready for his meeting.  A sitter came at 9:30 when he left for his first meeting.

I started running at 9:20ish, it took me 1:26 to complete. I crossed the line, NTL's daughter Danni took a few pictures of me for me,  I filled my water bottle, and kept on walking out of the park, down the road to an area my ride (the sitter) could spot me. I was home a little after 11, got cleaned up and pretty, got the kids ready, and we were out the door again to our 1pm meeting.

The Run- is my normal morning run...except for that one part that I had never done. Ahem. The loop at the top of Sunset trail...I had never done. There's a substantial hill that was difficult, but I got up and over it and knew it was all downhill to the finish. It was also a fun game of dodging the hikers who had opted for the family hike division. I have since watched a video of the hiker start and there were a few hundred at least, so the trail back to the finish was pretty thick with people. Since I was not out there to win or pr or do anything but enjoy the morning, I really got a kick out of so many people out there enjoying the trail and nature. I'm sure had I been a lead runner, or out there to be competitive at all, that run back in on Stage rd would have most likely had me frustrated.
As for how fast/slow of a 10k it was for me, or how hard/easy of a run it was...meh.  I've run faster, and slower, easier courses, and more difficult courses.  All I was really focused on was having fun, enjoying seeing so many others enjoying my morning route, and not falling. I was aware of the fact I had to finish under 1:30 or I would be in a time crunch to make my 1pm meeting, but I also knew that would be pretty easy to do. I did not stop at any of the 3 aid stations. I figure since I run out here 5-10 miles with my own food and water normally, I wouldn't waste any time stopping at the aid stations. I did miss stopping to visit w/the volunteers though.
The finish - coming into the long straightaway to the finish a guy ( who I  now know was 24 yr old)who had been sprinting up to me, then walking, then sprinting up next to me, then walking...for at least the last 2 miles...this guy stopped to walk...within site of the finish.  I patted him on the back and said "no, no, no...you are not walking now, lets go." He laughed and said "your right, lets go", then he said "is the scruffy guy your husband?"....there were a few scruffy guys, but none my husband, lol. We both found whatever we had left and finished strong, though he a ways in front of me, lol.  But I crossed happy, having thoroughly enjoyed myself! I was 'medaled', filled up my water bottle, and kept on walking out of the park. 
The After-the-finish Bummer- I hate leaving immediately! There's a race to rehash with any random runner who also wants to rehash their run.  There are friends to chat with, and a full field of 13.1ers to watch finish and cheer for.  There's an astounding amount of post race food, drink, a full on bbq, vendors to visit, Sam and Jasmin to thank, and nice patch of green grass to go sit in and relax...I hated to walk away, but forced myself to not even go over to the food area and just keep walking.
In the End- Volunteering Saturday with the family was great! The run Sunday was great, too. This was the first Brazen race w/o any family there, and for us Brazen's runs are a family event, so it was a bit lonely. The morning was very rushed due to our own schedule, nothing to do w/Brazen or SMD, just our own scheduling issues. It was just weird. A combo of feeling happy and woo hoo, what a fun run...quickly followed by huh, well this is rotten...I don't want to just leave. Poop.
Here's a few pictures for you-
Me in purple and blue at the start.
pre race at home w/Brian

Save Mt Diablo booth, I so want that banner!

So strange to have unloaded that stuff the day before and now this place is swarming w/people.

Getting ready to start...I'm sure Sam was still noticing that the banner was a bit waffled on the left hand side under the arch, lol.

Making my way out Stage rd.


Starting up Sunset, I stood to the side and let anyone who looked like they wanted to try and run it go first.

They may have thought they wanted to run it, but hee hee hee....Sunset likes you to stick around a while and enjoy it!


Made it up sunset, now doing the loop. That guy walking the wrong way behind me didn't look so good, he was supposed to be doing the 13.1, but appeared to have changed his mind and was walking back to the start.

Just climbed up out of a pit, the last hill, now just downhill for a few miles!

So this was the first, and then the last aid station, and by now was a hang out spot for the hikers, you can see the sea of blue shirts I was about to plow down...I mean run through.

Looks like I was standing still but my hair was still running, lol.  I was trying to keep up with that 24yr old kid.

And then it was over! Danni saw me trying to take a picture of myself and helped me out : )
 Good times!
More pictures here.

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha - I know the world is not quite all about me, but I've got to believe there's a reasonable chance that "the scruffy guy" was me since I pointedly took your picture twice and tossed in a bit of taunting (which he would have seen, assuming he was in the neighborhood, which he probably was). I'm good with being the scruffy guy.

    And I know how you feel about leaving right after the race. We've had to do that a couple of times and it does not feel right. Hopefully the next race will be more proper in that respect (including the kids and hubby).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I was pretty sure he meant you since Sam wasn't running, lol. He passed me on the same hill you did.

      Delete