Sunday, May 23, 2010

Rock City, Mt. Diablo


We continue to be amazed by how much of our local area we have yet to explore. The supply of nooks and crannies, hikes, trails, Mountains.....it seems endless. When I say local, I mean close to home, not just in the state. Close, like with in miles of our front door.

Saturday after service, we decided to take a drive up to the top of Mt. Diablo. We had only driven it once, probably 10ish years ago, in our old Honda Civic. It's a very steep, twisty road w/Mt on one side, and amazing drop offs on the other. I remember Brian having to constantly be shifting the first trip up, hating the traffic and the cyclists. As for myself, I was terrified the entire time. I am not a fan of heights.

Well, it wasn't at all as bad as we remembered. Nobody got sick, we are now in awe of the cyclists endurance, and calves : ) , and as for the heights, still not a fan, but it was tolerable. I just felt a bit loopy, almost a bit disoriented?? Not sure how to describe it.

These cyclists were going up the final hill to the parking area at the summit. Having climbed over 3800 feet, they were moving very slowly. We just hung back and let them take their time. Talk about digging deep!! Pretty impressive.


The views at the top are amazing. We went up into the tower and walked through the visitor center at the summit. On the way down we drove through the campgrounds scouting future vacations. We went down to Rock City. Again, a place we should have been long ago, but just got around to finally visiting. It was pretty amazing. The kids loved it. We could have spent a lot of time exploring there!

There are more pictures HERE. There would have been a lot more, but the batteries on both my camera and my phone died while at Rock City.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you guys have discovered soooo many places I never knew existed around here!!! Gonna have to start a list of places to take the boys. They'd love that Rock city. I have been to top of Mt Diablo and you are right, the drive up there is a bit scary at points...I just remember it being FREEZING up there the day we went.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina, we should make a Rock City date! We could take lunch up, there's tons of picnic spots, the kids would love it!

    ReplyDelete