Monday, May 17, 2010

See Jane Train!


Sunday we did a training run with fellow See Janers. We don't know most of the 40 sisters as most are from other congregations, so we, or I, was excited to get to know and at least see some of the other runners. There were 15 ish of us?? I honestly didn't count, but somewhere around 15, maybe 20 people total. I only really know Angela and her family, and had met one of the other sisters, but that was it. We gathered at Heather Farms and were on the trail a little before 4 pm. Angela is recovering from a Hip Flexor injury, so she and a few others were doing a run/walk combo for 6 miles, 3 out and back. I am not sure if any went over 6 miles or not, it started as an 11 mile training run, but everyone was told to do their own thing and just do what they felt comfortable with. Brian and I were doing 13, so we knew at some point we would be on our own.
Emma was able to ride her bike with her friend Claire the first 3 miles before they turned back, so that was a treat for her.
Brian started off in the front with Derrick (Angela's hubby) who was also pushing a jogger stroller. The 2 of them were giving it their all to keep up with the 3 kids on bikes and pulled ahead of the pack quickly. I sort of was all over the place taking pics and video at the beginning. I took a video of the pack as they left the park and hit the Canal Trail.



I then kicked it into gear to get around everyone and catch back up to Brian. But, along the way I passed a sister who I didn't know, and she said "see, I knew you guys would be fast". I was actually sprinting to catch Brian, but when I heard what she said I pulled back to normal pace, which was about what she was running at. We started talking and I explained that I am not a fast runner at all, just trying to catch the hubby. Well, we talked...and talked...by the time we turned onto the Iron Horse trail, her running partner Pat was with us. Again, never met her before. They were planning on doing 11 miles, which would have been the farthest Karen had ever run. She would end up running 13.1, she just didn't know it yet! At 3 miles we passed Derrick and the kids as they turned back. We hit the bathroom at Whole Foods, and then continued on, talking and talking. The miles flew by and before we knew it we were at the 5.5 mile turn around for them if they were going to do 11. But, we were all having a great time chatting, none of us were tired at all, and they were easily convinced to keep going! At the turn around, Brian ran into Safeway and got the kids some treats, while we waited on the trail, stretching, drinking, re-arranging Karen's bandages, and...talking. They were happy to hear that going back we would be running slightly down hill, I had forgotten to mention on the way out that we were running uphill.
Going back they did great! No whining, just more talking. At one point, the part I like the least, they had quieted down a bit. I told them this was the hardest part of the run for me and asked them to talk.(seems odd, but this is a normal request in 'runner-land') Pat shared with us some points she enjoyed from last weeks bible reading, which then led to talking about the Watchtower lesson from the mornings meeting...and then we were past the roughest part! Pat shared with us that non of her family is currently in the truth, so she has really enjoyed her runs with Karen because they can talk about spiritual things, and she cant' do that at home.
In no time, we were making the final turn onto the Canal Trail and in the home stretch. Karen was having some toe pain and a "stretchy" feeling in her calf, but she kept up and finished her first 13 mile run like a pro! They both finished with smiles and hardly any sweat!
I finished knowing 2 sisters life stories, having gained two friends...two sisters that I had never met before!
That's Karen and Pat

To say running is therapy is a huge understatement. You could take 3 sisters who don't know each other and who you've never seen or spoken to before and put them at a table in a restaurant and sit them there and you know what would happen? For me, I would probably sit and stare at them for 2 hours and not know what to talk about or say and be counting down the seconds until it was over, uncomfortable and fidgeting the entire time. But, you take those 3 sisters and put them out on a trail together for a run, and its an amazing bonding experience. You go into it strangers and come out knowing probably more about each other then you should know!! I loved every second of it!!
Thanks again, to Angela for getting the run together. Thanks to Pat and Karen for your company! Looking forward to the big day!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! 2 posts in one day! And so quick to blog about yesterday's events! You're getting to be like a true blogger :) I wish we could have made it, but we got home the time we were supposed to be running already D: Glad to see you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I so wanted to go but just couldn't swing it...I'm hoping that "talking" is gonna get us through the race...lol...there are several of us nervous about it and passing out! LOL

    ReplyDelete