Saturday, August 28, 2010

70 Days till Two Cities

Post marathon, we have developed a predictable series of events. There's the one week of no activity, a recovery week. By the weekend, we are going crazy, wanting to head out on a run, wondering what our body will think about it. We opt for a hike with the kids instead. Week 2, we venture out on a few 5 milers, maybe throw an 8 in the mix just to see how the legs respond. By the end of week 2, this conversation has become inevitable :

"Honey, we have to get something on the calender."
"Yeah, I know. When we don't have anything to train for we could easily start packing on the pounds again."
"I know, I feel so gross"
"Me too. Lets pick out our next marathon."

You may have noticed the list of upcoming races that appeared on the left of the screen.....a result of the above conversation. We have a few 5k's in the mix, some for personal reasons and some for the kids. A trail run or two are also in the mix, something we always want to do more of! We had planned on running the Malibu Marathon, but dropped it due to travel expenses and a hefty $135 registration fee. Although I was specific about not wanting to run a podunk, whole in the wall marathon, Brian sold me on Two Cities. Why? I like free stuff and slightly downhill courses. Check out what $75 will get you :

Your Race Fee Includes:

  • Personalized Bib (Register by Oct 15)
  • Long-sleeve male and female technical Event Shirt
  • Custom Finisher's Medallion
  • Finisher's Sweatshirt
  • Post-Race HOT Breakfast
  • Our signature ice cream sundae!
  • Marathon participants will receive a FREE 2010 runner's hat. Half-marathoners can purchase our 2010 runner's hat at our 2-day Health Expo.
  • Free Massage
  • Michelob Ultra Beer Garden! Each participant, 21 and over, receives a Free Beer!
  • Chrono-track disposable Chip-Timing
  • Goody Bag stuffed with samples
  • Time Splits called out at each mile
  • 17 water/Gatorade stations
  • 8 First-Aid stations along the course
  • 2 GU energy gel stations along the course
  • Awards Ceremony with live band
  • On-Line Results immediately after race.
  • Results Newspaper by mail.
  • 2-day SPOC Health and Fitness Expo featuring Ultra-Marathon man Dean Karnazes
  • Lots of Entertainment along the course!
  • All-You-Can-Eat Pasta Buffet! - $15 adult. $8 for 12 and under
Did you catch that? All we have to do is run 26.2 miles and we get a free shirt, sweatshirt, hat, medal, massage, entertainment....couldn't buy that for $70!! Besides the fact we get to have another priceless experience together, and get to spend the next 70 days focused on a goal, moving forward and not backwards! With a little research, come to find out it is a very well put together event, with some unheard of perks for the runners.
So with that, tonight we will do the always exciting act of printing out the new training schedule and posting it on the fridge. We are at week 7 of 16, starting with long run at 13 and working up from there. Our bodies know how to handle the mileage now, and I know personally from San Fran what I am capable of under painful, less than ideal circumstances, so I am not worried about completing it, or being able to keep pushing. I really want to focus in on the nutritional aspect of training more this time. I want to constantly ask myself if what I am eating will help make me stronger, or hurt my progress. I expect a lot out of my body, and I want to make sure I am fueling it the best possible way. I also want to focus in on getting in my four cross training workouts a week. The stronger I feel, the more I enjoy running.
I should also mention with our run last night, we crossed over the amazing 1000 mile mark since the last week of December, 2009. 1000 miles in 8 months, our feet carried us 1000 miles....hard to comprehend.
Alright, so there you go, an update on our running life.
Happy Running, have a good last half of the weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Watch this one be your favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one sounds like a deal! Maybe next year as I probably won't make it over to the French Riviera! ...

    ReplyDelete