Monday, August 13, 2012

I Don't Want to Sound Redundant

Which is why I have been a little quiet lately.  Pretty much the same old summer stuff going on at our house. Swimming, running, hiking, biking, trying to stay cool, but wanting to be in the sun at the same time.  I feel like I've pretty much done the same post all summer long. I will readily admit that while it has been a really great summer, and I have really enjoyed having a few calm, relaxing months w/my kids....I am looking forward to the next chapter of life...the one when all the kids are in school! For the past 10 years I've had at least one home.  Myles will only be at school for 2.45 hours, but that is plenty of time. Time to run, time to workout, time to sit in a coffee shop and read a book...let me count the ways I will spend my 2.45 hours of daily alone time : ) At the top of my list is getting serious again about running.  I hope that in my daily 2.45 hours I find the "me" again who would not miss a run or workout no matter what.  Don't get me wrong, I have been getting in 3 runs a week, and 3 -4 workouts, and lots of fun hikes, but if I'm being honest, that is not enough for me. Mentally or physically. Mentally I'm much happier being that crazy person who has to be 110% all out hardcore all or nothing, 5 runs a week, 30-35 miles a week, 4+ workouts a week, 1-2 rest days....rest days that I dont' like to take. Physically, that is what it takes to maintain my "happy weight". While we are a very active family, the fact is that both Brian and I are formerly obese.  That means that being a "very active family" just isn't enough for us to keep the weight off. The general thought out there among Dr's, science, etc., it that "formerly obese" people need to "workout" a minimum of 1 hour per day to maintain a healthy weight, and that is while eating a completely clean, lean, healthy diet. That's an average, so it is possible it would take more than that to maintain, and it will definitely take more than that to lose.
So, yeah.  My 3 runs and 3-4 workouts just is not enough to keep me at my happy, healthy weight, and my waist line definitely confirms this!  Would I trade all the wonderful adventures and time w/the kids this summer for more alone time to workout and run longer??? No, and the truth of the matter is I could always get up earlier or stay up later and get it done. I could log more miles on the treadmill at the butt crack of dawn. Or, I can enjoy the last 2 weeks of summer with my kido's, being as active as we can, and hit my long awaited for 2.45 hours a day with a vengeance!

Completely random, but anyone wonder if our butchered tree in the back yard ever grew back?
It did, although a smaller version of its former self.



No comments:

Post a Comment