Sunday, September 5, 2010

Differences Within 13 Miles

So our legs have had 2 days off, feeling fresh and ready to run. We got up at 6 and were on the trail by 7:06, heading out to get 13 miles done before meeting. It's been quite a while since we have done a early morning run and I had forgotten how much I like it over later in the day running. It was nice and cool out. I wore my long sleeve Napa Valley Marathon shirt for the first time ever, but it only lasted a few miles before it came off. Brian proudly wore his San Fran marathon shirt, he says it's a badge of honor, and I agree. We see this shirt out on the trail more than any other marathon shirt (although Big Sur is a close second), and now I understand why those who have earned one wear them so much.
We both felt pretty good the entire run. Calf seems to be better as it isn't' hurting at all. This was the longest run I have done w/o my Zensah's, and I didn't' feel any pain, and am not sore now at all.
One of the things we noticed this run was that there is a definite difference in dispositions of runners in Walnut Creek v.s. Alamo. We start in WC, and everyone you pass will at least make eye contact, and usually return your "hey" or "hi" or "good morning". If they don't, you can usually see that they have both earplugs in and just didn't hear you. Alamo, not so friendly this morning. Seems the switch over happens near the freeway underpass....from there on out you don't exist. We passed several running groups....the first was a pretty hardcore looking bunch, probably just in their zone and too focused to bother using any extra energy to muster a smile your direction. This is interesting though, because even at the end of my most exhausting 26.2 miles, I was able to get out a "thank you" to the lady who said "good job Elizabeth". The next group...well lets call them the "Housewives of Alamo Running Group". All the gear looked pretty new, nicely matched, fuel belts full of pretty colored beverages. I looked up, smiled and waved. Talk about a frigid wind blowing by.....maybe my friendliness gave me away as not being from their end of town....maybe the fact I was pouring sweat was repulsive,......maybe they mistook the patches of dried, crusty sweated out salt in my hair for bird poop. Whatever it was, something made me clearly beneath their acknowledging my existence. Whatever, its all good because I get to turn around and run away from this end of town and head back to the land of "hey", "Hi", and "Good morning's". I even got a high five from a little guy on his bike waiting for his mom and dad to catch up to him. For the most part, the running community is amazing. We all love the same thing, we don't care what you look like, what your wearing, or how you smell. We are just happy to have the company and camaraderie. Shoot, the fact your out there, too, means we aren't crazy for being out here ourselves!
Anyway, it was a good run! Got done in time for the kids to play at the park a bit, get home, have coffee, lunch, and get to meeting early enough to snag the back row. : )
*to our friends in Alamo, love ya! If we ever see each other out on the trail, I know you would shatter the stereotype and say Hi.

1 comment:

  1. Us Alamo-ites are such snobs!!! LOL - Sorry the trail people are rude here...I always say "Hi" to people I pass on the trail or at least smile :-)

    ReplyDelete