Thursday, September 30, 2010

Training Update

We have 37 days left until Two Cities Marathon!! It seems like each round of training goes by faster and faster. I think too, that as we tweak things and make adjustments, it has become more enjoyable each time as well.
Some things that remain consistent each time are that we train for11 - 12 weeks, and put in around 375- 410 miles during that time. Brian rides his bike 5 days a week, and I do strength/plyometric circuit training 4 days a week Those things are the foundation for our training, and necessary as cross training.
Some differences each training period are the types of miles we put in. Sometimes our week day runs have consisted of 3 runs that are 5 miles each, and follow that with an 18 - 24 miler on the weekends. Sometimes we did a 6-8-6 during the week made up of hills and then ran long and flat on the weekend. We have tried to keep mixing things up until we found something that we felt at our prime with. It's a delicate balance between getting solid, quality runs in with out burning out and feeling tired during every run. Which brings me to our current training program.
We are currently in week 7 of training. While training for San Fran Marathon I had found that basically I was dragging myself through our runs. There were a few reasons for this...coming off a hip flexor strain early in training, not being able to get new shoes when I needed them caused all sorts of joint havoc, and pushing through these things w/o wanting to let up on training at all was probably the icing on the cake. I had dropped down to doing only 3 cross training workouts a week hoping to have more energy for runs. So, going into this marathon, I didn't' want to repeat any of that. A new plan of attack seemed in order. I decided to try a few different things. First though I want to be clear that none of this is original, I didn't' just come up with this randomly as an experiment and decide to try it out. Brian and I both research everything to death, so these are training methods that are out there and have been used forever, just not by us.
For the past 4 weeks I have done an every other week method. Meaning that one week is my high mileage week/low to no workout week, depending on fatigue level. I have been accomplishing that by running for 3-4 miles on the treadmill before going to meet Brian for our 5 mile lunch run (we run from his office on his lunch break). Doesn't sound like much, it only takes about 30 minutes, 3 times a week, but it ads up quick. So, 3 days a week I run, then drive to the office and run again. The difference is that normally I would be working out for 1.5 hrs, then driving to the office and running. I think everyone who visits here knows I do the Jillian Michael's on line program. Her workouts are tough, and full of squats, lunges, and every jumping/weighted variation of those you can find. By the time we were running i was spent. Even doing workouts in the evening and running the next day, I was dragging, consistently, even w/dropping 1 workout a week. I have found having a high mileage week w/no workouts ( I will clarify the 'no workouts' part in a minute) has been amazing for my running. I have so much more energy during our runs, our pace has improved, aches, pains, twinges are non existent right now. I put in a 48 mile week w/no pain, and that is unheard of for me. This week, which is a high mileage week, will be 4 runs of 8 miles, followed by a 13-15 miler Sunday morning.
I follow the high mileage week with an average mileage week with 4 workouts. Average right now is around 30 miles, usually 3 runs of 5 miles and a long run on the weekend, which would be a normal training week usually. These weeks are harder than the high mileage weeks, and I am more fatigued in my runs. That said, I will not ever totally give up my workouts!! I could talk for days about how much I have come to love these beatings, and the ability to get through them, but I will spare you. Oh, and to clarify the 'no workout' weeks...as always, I have been doing some basic core work and upper body work during those weeks, keeping it under an hour, and no lower body work at all.
Our long runs have also gotten switched up, too. Again, nothing new here, lots of people train this way splitting up the long run. That is what we have been doing, mostly for heat reasons. We have been in triple digits for a while now, so not the best for putting in a long run. We have been splitting them into 2 days, 8 miles one day, 13 the next, or 8 miles one day, 14 the next. Usually one Sat night, the next one Sunday morning ( a luxury of having afternoon meetings). Our long runs should be at 16 miles at this week of training, but we have been putting in about 20 miles per weekend, give or take. We also have had to focus on running for a time period, rather than a distance with this heat. For instance last weekend, instead of being focused on doing an 18 mile run, we had to switch it up and change the goal to running for 3 hours in the heat and staying upright, not worry about how far we got. Training in this sort of heat, especially with kids out there with us, requires adaptability and practicality.
So that is the new approach, one long running week, followed by an average week w/workouts, rotating back and forth from week to week, and splitting our long runs up. Seems to be just the change I needed for now.
We also threw a few races into the training period this time to mix it up and keep things fun. We have 5 weeks to go so hopefully things will continue as well as they have been going so far! WE have a fun run planned this weekend with the Behren's family and Pat and Karen, so we are looking forward to the company! Oh, and the heat is coming down, should be in the 80's this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment