Thursday, September 16, 2010

Smiles from the Week

I thought I would share a few quotes from yesterday that made me smile. I should add that these happen everyday, and I am seriously thinking of carrying a journal with me to jot them down as they happen.

#1 - I stand out in front of the kids school everyday at 2:45, under the big tree. The girls come from 2 different angles, one runs to me from the left, one from the right. Emma, not running, walking with an attitude, frown, and holding one hand very deliberately out to the side walks up. Me - "um....how was your day?" Em -" Don't touch me, Julius peed on me. " An instant wave of disgust mixed with rage washed over me in about .5 seconds, ready to hunt down Julius and his parental unit for a discussion on their obvious lack of parenting as an 8 year old should know better. She then explained to me that Julius is the class pet and is a toad.

#2 - We are sitting at the table eating dinner. Myles, who just turned 4, is a big talker, not a big eater. He was eating though, while he launched into a very excited discussion on green bikinis. "I love green bikinis, green bikinis are so good, I love them." Thanks to Katy Perry's California Girls, the line "bikinis on top" is sung frequently in our house, and it's probably safe to say he is a bit obsessed right now with bikinis. It all made sense when he held up a piece of green zucchini and shoved it in his mouth, while at the same time saying "mmmm, green bikini is my favorite".

#3 - Brian and I were running the last 1/4 mile back to his office on his lunch break. This section has several road crossing where we have to wait at lights. We fartlek it, sprinting these shorter sections all out as fast and hard as we can at the end of 5 miles. Sprinting, like when we stop at the light I am bent over catching my breath, pouring sweat, and looking for a bush to puke in. We were standing in front of the Embassy Suites waiting to cross the street and a hotel worker carrying a bag of garbage walks up while yelling out "Bay to Breakers, you going to do it?" If Sodom and Gomorrah sponsored a race, it would be Bay to Breakers, it's less race, and more naked, drunk people and some floats and costumes going for a 7 mile stroll. Brian and I glance at each other and I say "no, that's a bit to crazy for us". This pretty short, round man says "yeah, I did it for the 75th anniversary, gonna do it again this year for the 100th. Yeah, man, I ran a mile and a half this morning, whew, tough man. How far did you go today?" Brian says we did 8 yesterday and 5 today (it was actually 11 yesterday and 8 today, but who's counting?) Guy says "I see you run by here all the time, well, every Tuesday. Your doing a good job, keep it up." We say thanks, smile at each other, and sprint away as the hand turns white and it's safe to cross. One of the things I love about running....the people. All shapes, sizes, endurance, abilities, ages, goals....with one thing in common, running.

No comments:

Post a Comment