Monday, July 12, 2010

13 Years....Finally!


Random post for a fitness themed site, but there is a reason it's here.
Since we've been married, we have not had a dresser. Yes, there was the very short presence of an Ikea piece of crud dresser, but its life span was so short, and it was so useless that I refuse to acknowledge it ever existed.
I mostly hang my clothes. I make due with those plastic 3 drawer cubbies you see at Target all the time. I have 2 of those in the bottom of my closet, and a hanging thing that has slots takes up another portion of my closet. OH, and when I say closet, I should clarify. Since Brian works and has work clothes, meeting clothes, and then everything else, he gets the actual closet in the bedroom. My 'closet' is a coat closet by the bathroom. So there's about 3 feet of space. This was my choice as I know Brian has way more clothes and his all need to hang, so it's only right that he have the real closet. I try not to complain and just deal with the space issues. What I can't deal with is the chaos issue. If you know me well, then you know I am very ocd about having things clean, neat, orderly, organized, ect, ect. Messes induce panic attack like symptoms. If I walk into a cluttered room, it's hard for me to focus on anything else, I feel anxious, nervous, irritated...until I fix it, and then life goes on. The obvious solution is that as a family, we keep the house pretty clean. The kids understand how mom feels when their rooms are a mess. Brian understands, too. Many Saturday and Sunday mornings he will make sure the room we walk into when we get home from service and meeting is clean so that I don't walk into the house and go into ocd mode. Anyway, on a day to day basis, it's no big deal. We all just keep the house clean, its a normal part of our live, no big deal. Where it has been becoming a big deal is my closet. I feel like because it's such a small space, if anything is out of order, it really looks like a huge mess. I often can't find what I'm looking for because everything is so crammed in there, which makes if feel even messier. Sometimes there is so much in there I can't get the door shut. Actually, truth be told, the door had been forced closed so many times that it recently pulled out of the hinges. So, there has been a lot of ranting and raving about needing a dresser. I don't really consider it a "want", I have been to the point mentally that it has been a 'need' for a while.
I try not to ask for things because I know our budget, and just because we may 'need' something doesn't mean we go and get it. Brian goes w/o a lot too, and I know that and I think we both go w/o things we 'need' for longer than we should sometimes (like running shoes, but that's a different post). We have had our eyes open for freebies or cheapies at garage sales, but nothing.
Well, Brian's bike is in the shop for a week. Talk about going for too long w/o things you need, his spokes have been falling off his tires, and he has been taking spokes off his spare tires and replacing them, plus he only has 1 or 2 gears that work on his bike, plus his seat isn't attached anymore, it just sits on top of the frame, but isn't attached.....like I said, we make due. So I drove him into work this morning and on the way home, I see this amazing dresser sitting out on the curb w/ a free sign on it. It was huge, looked heavy, and I drove home. Pulled in the drive way, sat there for a minute, then backed out again and went back.
This thing is awesome. Used, and shows its age a bit, but awesome. It's a 5.5 foot long solid chunk of wood! All the drawers slide nicely, nothing wobbles, no particle board anything, its' solid wood, claw foot, nice details, 6 big drawers......just pure awesomeness. Now, the delima was that it was solid and extremely heavy. I considered going back to Brian's office and making him come help me, but I was afraid to leave it there. So, and this is where the tie in to fitness is : ) , I put down all the seats in the van except Bubba's, took the drawers out, and wrestled this thing up into the van. Yep, I wrestled it. It probably look hilarious, but after trying a few different methods, angles, and lifting techniques, I got it up into the van. I did not know that dresser wrestling was on my bucket list, but it felt pretty good, and I would highly recommend it as an alternative to your normal workout. I'm thinking there may be workout DVD's to be made, set to Rocky music. Anyhoo, tucked the kids back into the van in whatever nooks and crannies they could find, and away I went, feeling pretty proud of myself, and looking forward to getting dressed tomorrow and the calm, non ocd feeling I will have while doing it!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Congratulations! That looks like a nice dresser...even better that it was free. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking it may rate right up there with urnal wrestling and I bet I was just as happy as you are now. Moo

    ReplyDelete