Saturday, July 3, 2010

Last Long Run Weekend

Just a quick update....
We have arrived at our last long run before SF Marathon. Training seems to go by quicker each time we do this. Its been an amazingly fast 15 weeks!
Overall, other than a few scheduling issues, training was pretty painless. Long runs feel easier each time, only one this training period that I would say was brutal. I'm wondering if we haven't been over training the past few times. We've been running 4 days a week, having at least 1 day off in between each run. Mid week runs have been between 5 and 8 miles. We make sure to take at least one day if not two off before our long run. Our long runs have been mostly on Sundays. I have dropped my Monday workout, giving my body a rest on that day, so only working out 3 days a week verses the 4 days a week I have done for the past year and a half. I think this has ended up in a less is more experience. We have both felt really strong in our runs, and haven't been sore afterwards. And like I said, except for 1 run, our long runs have been enjoyable, which isn't usual. Usually over 18 miles and everything hurts and we are sore the next day. During the convention, we didn't run for 4 days in a row, and when we headed out on day 5 for a run, it was amazing the difference in my legs! I haven't run on fresh legs in so long, it was a night and day difference starting off with well rested legs!
So, I am actually looking forward to tapering this time, as I know we can go the distance, and look forward to starting off w/fresh, well rested legs (which will last until the first hill!). Sunday morning will be the last long run, somewhere between 20-24 miles, we haven't' decided yet. Our last long run was 22 miles....so we will see. If we had 3 weeks to taper I would for sure do 24, but w/2 weeks...thinking maybe 22 0r 20. 24 is pretty much like running a marathon, and then 2 weeks later running a marathon, which, even w/2 weeks rest, isnt' a brilliant idea for us mere mortals.
Anyhoo, other than that, summer is in full swing at our house. Lots of pool time, play time, tent making....our dinning room table is covered in a sheet, which is covered w/paper mache animals in various stages. 2 more layers and we will be ready to start painting! Service today and Monday, run, meeting, and congregation softball Sunday.... and hoping for some beach time Monday afternoon!
Have a good weekend, people. Hope it's sunny wherever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment