Sunday, July 25, 2010

Epic on the Pain Scale


Epic is all that fits right now. Our alarm was set for 3 a.m. At 2 am I was awoke by a cramp in my right calf. Haven't had a cramp in probably a year.....marathon morning of all mornings, I lay in bed yelling because my calf is cramped and in a knot that wont release. Nice. It did release, leaving behind quite a bit of pain when weight was put on it. I used the Iron man muscle rub you saw in the pics yesterday, twice about an hour apart. Took some meds, do not do this before or during an endurance event, it is terrible for your body, does damage, and can land you in the hospital. Really, don't.
This was by far the most painful run of all time, ever. I was terrified I was going to go down with a cramp as my legs were on the verge of cramping the entire run. Ad to that the monumental amount of hills, up and down. Ad to that pain the pain of overcompensating for my calf and earning stabbing hip pains. Brian almost called it at mile 13. I was in tears, doing more of a shuffle than a run. Some things are just out of our control, and although I wasn't getting through this marathon the way I had pictured, I was going to finish it no matter what. I stopped at medical for some more meds and muscle rub.
Epic.
But we finished. I need to let it all sink in a bit before I do a full recap, so that's it for now. I will post pics to dropshots later tonight....here you go for now..

6 comments:

  1. You guys did amazing! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Epic is the word! Bottom line is you did it! Doesn't this help us understand what endurance is?! I looked for you guys today but couldn't spot you in the masses. Today was my first marathon ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat, where you there running?? I would have had my eyes open for you. Congrats!! I didn't know you were running it! What a difficult course for your first! Did your husband run it with you? I know you said back in the day he tried to get you to do it w/him. Anyone who finishes that course is Amazing!! Congrats again! Your first...but not last I bet!!
    -Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat, I'm nosy and just checked your time....I'm outing you on my little blog...Pat is in the 55-59 age division and finished strong under 5 hours!! Way to go lady! What an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My wonderful Daughter:
    You are truly amazing! I have never been more proud of you! To run that marathon is one thing, but to run it with all the hills and in such pain is EPIC! To do all of the above and still have the intention to get home in time to go to meeting is unbelievable.
    I know I said I was proud of you, but words cannot convey how proud I am or how much I love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you mom!
    We were determined not to miss meeting. We were a bit of a mess, but we were there : )
    Love you, too.

    ReplyDelete