Saturday, October 23, 2010

Last Long Run : DONE!!


First, yesterday was the first day it has been cold enough to wear my winter jacket (which I love in part because my wonderful sis-in-laws bought it for me). In CA, this is the day I officially cross over to fall mode. We may be at the end of October, but it isn't fall until you need a coat!

And second, our last long run is in the books! We got out there today and got it done. We both manned up for this one, knowing we were going to get wet, going to run hills, and going to hurt. I put on all my gear that helps me feel tough (yes, I know, but it's all mental for me), my visor, leg sleeves, arm sleeves, and my Ironman watch. Angela, who was watching the kids for us (Thank You!! The kids would have been miserable in the rain) let me wear her Garmin, which was a treat!
If you are from our area, or familiar w/Martinez, we ran from Vine Hill out to the end of Franklin Canyon Rd and back, then down Alhambra to the Martinez marina, ran around down there, then back up Alhambra to Vine Hill, and then up Vine Hill. Not much flat to be found. We were either running a gradual incline, or gradual decline.....and my legs were not happy! The rain started at the Marina, and that gave me a boost heading back up Alhambra (running in the rain, again, makes me feel tough....and again, yes, I know its all mental). By the time we got back to the Behrens, we were both shot, cold, and wet. Angela had coffee waiting (she knows me well)!
So, with that we head into the 2 week taper. Time to recover, protein up, work on some upper body and core work outs, and get some 5-8 mile runs in. It occurred to me that there are thousands of runners around the state and beyond who are getting that last long run done this weekend in preparation for Two Cities. Just a neat thought.
Here are a few pictures from todays run.....Above and below is heading out Franklin Canyon. Heading out is uphill.
Above is the turn around point at the end of Franklin Canyon. My legs are already shot, and we have a long way to go. Notice the dead turkey just over my head. Random.
The above pic is an interesting perspective, the first half of our run was on the back side of those hills at the bottom.
This was down at the Marina Park, the rain started as we were standing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment