Monday, October 4, 2010

Yearly Girly Visit

Who blogs about that, right?
Me. As always, I promised honesty when I started this whole blogging thing. So today was the big day. Now I say yearly, but I haven't gone in since Bubba was 6 weeks old. I know, bad me. I had just been in last month for the lump (which since it isn't going anywhere I am thinking of naming it, since" the lump" sounds so boring...maybe Cindy, short for cyst??), but it had been about 4 years since I had been in for 'the works'. All is well as far as that goes. Weigh in went well. Blood pressure was an amazing 116/60. Last month is was the same. As someone who has always ran high, that is an amazing number! They also didn't have to go hunt down the extra large cuff.
The strangest part is being in the same room I've been in probably hundreds of times (both pregnancies w/the girls and part of bubba's were in this office) and feeling totally at ease. I wasn't waiting for the lecture that always came. My nurse practitioner is also a dietitian, so it was always inevitable the the conversation would come around to weight and diet. Not her fault, she would have been negligent not to bring it up. This time when she came in, she first said, "So how is training going? You have a marathon coming up right?" She proceeded to tell me that when I left the office last month she went back over my file and remembered me, and that I look nothing like how she remembers me. She said you used to have platinum blond hair, cut at an angle, right? She thought that I had lost well, I didn't have near the lose skin I should have for 120 lb loss....I said 'you haven't seen my inner thighs yet!" She took a listen to my heart and chuckled saying how slow my resting heart rate was, that she' have to hang out here all day trying to hear 3 beats.
She asked about my calcium and vitamin D. I said I don't' really like to take any supplements.(I don't like to take any pills of any kind, supplements or meds) She asked what i eat on a daily basis w/calcium, I started rattling things off and she said yeah, I was fine. I said, "last time you asked if I get enough calcium and I said yes, and then you said from cheese, right?" She laughed, we both talked about Trader Joe's Greek Non Fat Yogurt and all the ways we use it, then she said judging by my tan and the number of hours I spend outside running, she would bet my vitamin D is double normal (which is fine, hard to have too much of it). She is curious and would I mind having some blood drawn. She wonders what an athlete who trains almost entirely outdoors in CA's vitamin D level is. Sure, I'll play, I'm curious too.
It is funny to me how after you give birth once, let alone 3 times, modesty just goes out the window when it comes to Dr's. These yearly appointments used to have me so nervous and worried and embarrassed, I just really hated them, which could have been 1 reason my blood pressure would be so stinkin high! You know when your feet are in the potholder covered stirrups and you have to "scoot to the edge of the table"...ugh, I hated that part! Now, not such a big deal. They see the same view everyday, right? Not really a big deal once you take out the weight lecture. Even the mammogram last month was not a big deal. If you are 40 + and supposed to be having your mamo's yearly(or if you are any age and find a lump), just get in there and get it done. I have always heard how uncomfortable it is, how squished you get....eh, not really that big o deal. yes, someones grabbing your tata's and getting them in the machine the way they need to be positioned, but it's really not a big deal. That's what they do all day long, yours are not the first they have seen or shoved in the machine. And, it didn't hurt. There was no pain involved, no fears of being overly squished. Just do it!
Alright, well, that about sums up my exciting morning. Oh, we did do the run last night, I was only able to push Em for 11 miles. My hip joints were screaming at me for pushing that much weight. We came home and I did a few miles on the treadmill to make up the .8 I was down from the group run, and the 2 miles I needed to hit 13 for the day. Hips are sore and stiff, but that's to be expected. I will be running on the treadmill until her throat is in good enough shape for her to ride her bike.

Emma update, she is home today, but her voice is about halfway back to normal. She was up once last night, but got some good sleep. She is home today, but I plan on sending her back tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment