Thursday, December 2, 2010

November, November, a Month to Remember

As you can tell from my slow down in posts, it has been an......interesting month. There has been a lot going on, a few major shifts in our universe, some perspective changers....ever had one of those months?? One thing that Brian and I have learned over the years is that when things are going really well, its time to start sleeping with one eye open because it can't last. That's just life, right? One big roller coaster ride. Not so scary when it's just you and your spouse, but when your riding with kids, it can be terrifying at times. Sometimes the hardest part is remaining calm so that they think the roller coaster ride is "fun" and they don't notice that you are turning green.
It has been wonderful to have gotten all the info over the past year about not becoming stressed, overwhelmed, overly anxious, panicked even..when situations arise. Sometimes all you can really do is pray for the ability to remain calm and endure. Enduring in the way we have talked about over the past year, not just "getting through" a situation unhappily and becoming bitter, but doing it with a positive outlook and a willing spirit. So, we are rolling with it, and trying to stay positive. That's what this system is, right? One curve ball after another, you just have to get used to hitting them over and over again and enjoying the breaks in between pitches.
That said, it has highlighted the fact that I loath relying on other people. I hate it. I have always hated it. In school, when we would be assigned "projects" I always wanted to be grouped with the slackers who never did anything because then I could just do it all myself and know it was done right and on time. Even now, if I want something done I prefer to do it myself. Not that Brian isn't capable, he is. I just know that if I do it, it's done. Not the right outlook to have, and I am aware of that, however our 'November to Remember' could not highlight more clearly why I feel this way. All we can control at this point is how we handle the next few months, which promise to be challenging and eventful. One thing that is key right now for our entire family is maintaining our routine. Normalcy goes far with kids. Prayer, meetings, service, family study, runs, hikes, payday Friday grocery shopping night, random trips to Chevron for coffee and slurpees - staples in our day to day life that always remain consistent and carry us through from one ride to the next.
So December will be a quest for normalcy within our ability and situation, and maintaining routines. For me personally, this will mean getting back to my 4 workouts a week, and 4 -5 runs a week. Period. I am trying to view November as our 'recovery month' from a year of hard work.......as opposed to viewing it as a" total slacker" month. There were sporadic workouts and runs....if and when we felt like it....lets just say our muscles had a nice break! December, I have no visions of "hitting it hard" or "pushing limits".....just the goal of re establishing a healthy routine. 4 workouts, 4-5 runs, one rest day.I see a few long runs on the schedule as well, not for training purposes, but for meditation purposes. There's nothing like turning the body on auto pilot and having a few hours to think. Brian and I have gotten in 2 lunch time runs this week and I think those will be invaluable as well the next few months as it allows us time to talk about things that we don't talk about in front of the kids. Plus, talking about stressful situations while doing a stress relieving activity somehow does balance out!
I would expect posts to be less frequent while all this 'maintaining a normal routine' during the next few weeks is going on. But then, they are a bit therapeutic....so you never know....

No comments:

Post a Comment