Monday, June 3, 2013

Just a Quicky...

Crazy next 2 weeks, so figure I gotta post while I have a few seconds....
2 super exciting bits of news,

1. Brian is working the mile 62 aid station of Western States 100!!  I'm so excited for him!! I already had a few prior commitments when the opportunity came about, so sadly, I was not able to jump on this.  If you dont' know what Western States is...well, it's a big deal. Thank you, Diane, for the heads up on this!!

Here's a bit from ws100's site -

---------------------------------------------------------
The Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run is the world’s oldest and most prestigious 100-mile trail race.
Starting in Squaw Valley, California near the site of the 1960 Winter Olympics and ending 100.2 miles later in Auburn, California, Western States, in the decades since its inception in 1974, has come to represent one of the ultimate endurance tests in the world.
Following the historic Western States Trail, runners climb more than 18,000 feet and descend nearly 23,000 feet before they reach the finish line at Placer High School in Auburn. In the miles between Squaw Valley and Auburn, runners experience the majestic high country beauty of Emigrant Pass and the Granite Chief Wilderness, the crucible of the canyons of the California gold country, a memorable crossing of the ice-cold waters of the main stem of the Middle Fork of the American River, and, during the latter stages, the historic reddish-brown-colored trails that led gold-seeking prospectors and homesteading pilgrims alike to the welcoming arms of Auburn.
For more than four decades, Western States has been home to some of the sport’s most stirring and legendary competitions, and has spurred the capacity of spirit of all runners, of all abilities and from all walks of life, from all over the globe.
With more than 1,500 dedicated volunteers, offering the sport’s oldest and most prized possession – a sub-30-hour finisher’s bronze belt buckle or a sub-24-hour finisher’s silver belt buckle – and owning 100-mile racing’s richest and most compelling history, Western States remains one of the undisputed crown jewels of human endurance.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. I am officially registered for Brazen's 12 hour Dirty Dozen run.  Super excited for this and ready to finally break the 30 mile distance. I'd love to hit at least 40, which, 1 lap an hour would be 40.44 miles, and possibly further (I hesitate to throw a bigger number out there but it's definitely possible). Each lap is 3.37 miles.   It's a gentle course, with quite a bit of shade, and is near water which keeps the temps lower than here (if it's 100 at home, it would be typically in the 80s where the run is).

I really have no idea what the best strategy is to the day. Start off running and then walk when I get tired? Run a lap, walk a lap? Should I have built in rest periods? 20 minutes every 3 laps?? I have no idea.  I do know I dont' want to be miserable...meaning I don't want to start of running and then get tired, and be dragging for 6 hours. I'd rather have some sort of plan to pace myself in a way that keeps me moving evenly over the 12 hours. No matter the approach, it'll be a challenging day, and I want it to be...but I want to approach it in a way that will end successfully and with a good experience.

Anyhow...that's all I got for ya today. I hate to post without a picture, so here's a random one for you!

3 comments:

  1. First, I am at the 43 mile aid station (Last Chance). After we close I will be going to Auburn and spending the rest of the race there, cheering in the large number of friends I have that are running the race. Hopefully Brian will be able to stop by for a little bit at least on his way home - it's a lot of fun there, although it's a long night after working an aid station. (I get to leave mine by about 5:30 - he won't be able to leave his until much later. I need to work out the name of his aid station.)

    Second, I've done Dirty Dozen twice now. The first time I was determined to get 50 miles, but started falling apart after 34. Two angels got me up to 40 miles. Last year I only got up to 36 or so. I'm really hoping for 50 this year, but I now appreciate how hard that is. Last year we set up a tent for a changing room, and that was a good thing since the weather changed a lot during the day. It will be a blast seeing you out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I think the aid station name has something to do with a school?? He's slotted for 3 - 9 pm, but he'll most likely get there earlier and stay later. He wants to see the leads come through.

      Dirty Dozen should be fun, challenging...but fun. Do you have it mapped with elevation? I know it's not much elevation change, but I was a bit surprised to find out it's for sure not as flat as I had thought. We were out there a couple weeks back and did the loop. Over the course of `12 hours it's gonna add up.

      Delete
  2. Oh! He's at Foresthill! That's a really major aid station since it's in a town (which means mortals can get to it) and it's the first place you can pick up a pacer. We stopped there on our way back to Auburn last year - it was quite a zoo and REALLY fun! The front runner doesn't normally get there until about 2:30 or so and it officially closes just before midnight. I've got my booklet from last year that I'll bet he would love to look through - I just don't know how to get it to him.

    Somehow I worked out that there is 150 feet of elevation change per lap, which works out to about 1500 feet for a 50K (10 laps). Last Saturday was the first time in all my races there that I ran the entire 5K course (I was determined to not let Mrs Notthat pass me) - there are three points that I always walk, and for the Dirty Dozen, I will definitely walk them to save energy. (I'm always stunned at how hard those "hills" get after about hour 7 or 8, at a point where I am generally walking the entire course.) They also add a tiny bit of single-track making the course a bit longer and with a bit more climbing (but it's a pretty bit and I love it). It's going to be fun there! Will the kids get to come? (I love how they have the two 5K and 10K races scattered throughout the day. Many timed runners take a break and run one of those races just to get that medal too.)

    ReplyDelete