Monday, January 27, 2014

Week 7-Training Schedule Ramblings

I can't believe how fast the weeks go by when you have a training schedule in place!
I've settled in nicely to the 2 hard weeks/1 lower mileage week flow of things. My body seems to generally agree to it.  Today begins week 7, and with it begins 4 weeks in a row of the kids being home on Mondays, which is normally a 10 mile day.
Starting with this week, my long runs go up to 15, so rather than have a 10, and a 15 in the same week (I've done a 10 and a 13 in the same week for the first 4 "hard weeks", and one of the easy weeks...so for the past 5 out of 6 weeks) I had planned on moving long run day to Monday, followed by a 6 on Tuesdays, Wed off, Thursday would be an 8, and Friday is whatever the Beast and I decide to do, but usually is between 5-8.  I just realized as I typed that, I have been running a half marathon a week for the past 5 weeks, which should sound like a lot but hasn't felt like it and in the trail running world is no big deal. For me, it is kind of a big deal, though.  Moving on, my Monday plan will not work with the kids being home. Which means I just cut out the Wednesday rest day. So the running week starts on Tues with the long run, 6 Wednesday, 8 Thursday, Beast Friday, and then 3 days in a row off.  Physically, it's a bit tougher on my old, mother of 3 body, and mentally it is tougher. The thing is, as long as my body holds out....tougher is better at this point. And I know it's just another 2 weeks, and then I have a low mileage week/break.

Moving on again....we head to Southern Ca this weekend for Brian to run the Surf City Marathon on Superbowl Sunday!! I'm so excited for him, he's trained well and is in good shape going into it. He's been picking up speed as he gets closer, so it could be a pr marathon for him.  Weather is looking cool at this point, we are hoping the rain holds off that morning, even though we really do need it.  we are staying across from the entrance to Disneyland, which is always kind of bitter sweet when you can't actually go.  Good thing we have great kids who know we are broke!  They also know that when we can take them, we do, and they've been more than most kids.  They did ask if they can walk over and watch the fireworks at night and walk through downtown Disney, so we'll for sure do that.

Ok, enough rambling for one day! Happy Monday!

2 comments:

  1. Woohoo, go Brian! I forgot about the marathon; it really sneaked up, didn't it? Glad to hear your training is going well!

    ReplyDelete