Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A Hike, On the Rocks, Please

 Well, it was fun! I won't say much about these, other than we found yet another way down from atop Castle Rock's rocks...the most difficult way yet. It took a few hours,when it should take about 30 minutes.  I almost think Brian aimed for every slide and crevice he could find.  Everyone survived, with only one sprained pinky finger as damage.

The kids have never been out past the 5k turn around for Brazen's Diablo race, so this was all new trail for them! We headed up Sunset Trail, but not before they spotted my favorite (and currently the only) creek crossing out here-


 

We made it up to Castle Rock trail, and after a bit we headed down on what I thought was the trail I took down the day I slid down the rock wall...but it wasn't the same one. Oops.
The bushes were just the right height to grab onto to keep from sliding.
 
These aren't in order.  This is his, "boy, I'm glad nobody got hurt sliding down this rock edge!" face.

Working her way down a crevice. (aka a rock butt)
 
Turkeys

Turkey Vultures

A trail containment unit - there's only one way out....down that rock slide.

This is what happens when Brian takes over navigating.
Yes, I'm digging in my heel to keep from sliding into Myles. You can see the tops of the girls heads down to the right. My kids are braver than I, that's for sure! I'll post a video of this section on the photo site.

This is looking back up the section we slid down...you had to stop sliding down the edge by the tree and drop about 8 feet down over the side.
This is another section we came down, Sophie is taking a minute to soak in what she just climbed down.
 

We had to lower ourselves down into the crevice my legs are across...then slide down what looked to be about a 10 foot easy, not too steep section.  Good thing I went first...it was super steep and i ended up hitting the ground and laying there for a second taking inventory of everything that hurt and how bad it was....just a sprained pinky and a few scrapes. No sliding down for anybody else! I ended up doing an odd locking arms/catching maneuver to get the rest of the family down, including Brian. I, I, I....I workout.


We started at 12:30 and were done at 4:15.  I was nervous the entire way down, but the kids had a blast and loved it. When we reached the bottom trail, Myles cried and cried. He wanted "to climb more rocks."  Another adventure I hope they remember forever. Good times!


No comments:

Post a Comment