Tuesday, October 2, 2012

AHBA

What is happening to me???

I knew my new found freedom would be a welcomed change. I mean, 3 hours in the morning....minus 40 minutes of driving to/from school.....yes, please, I'll take that!!

I obviously have been spending a lot of time on Mt, and surrounding trails during that time, which I knew I wanted to do.  I didn't realize how quickly it would become a necessary part of my weekly routine.  Seriously, it has crossed the point of something I 'want' to do, to being something I 'need'.  I dont' feel like my day is complete unless I am covered in a film of dust when I pick Myles up from school.  Running used to feel like a "need" all the time to me, but it's been probably a year and half since I've felt the "need", the "my day isnt' done yet" feeling, the "crabby" all day if I didnt' get a run in.....the twist is that I now loath pavement.  Seriously.  Why would anyone run on pavement when they could be out in the woods, running on soft dirt, or dried out cracked dirt, or rock infested dirt?? Why run and smell exhaust, have to dodge other runners and smile and pretend you like cyclists, for mile after mile of pounding pavement....most likely flat pavement??

Now, dont' get me wrong...I still run the paved stuff once a week-ish, and I am not giving up road races...and I'm not looking down on any sort of runners.  All running is great!!!

I'm just acknowledging that there has been a huge shift in my running universe, and I could not love it more!!  I love the smell of horse manure, dirt, dried leaves and hay....I love climbing the hills and pretending I'm in some sort of control coming back down them.  I love how my legs are covered in dirt and my socks are all starting to be stained brown.  I love watching the animal tracks go by as I'm running. I love stopping in the middle of the woods and just being still, smelling the smell and listening to the sounds.  I love trying to remember which line to always run through the dried stream beds because when they are full of water I wont' be able to see the boulders. I love that when I felt like I was being watched on todays run......it was not the creepy old guy behind Safeway..it was a beautiful buck on the hill next to the trail.

And...I love that all this being out in nature stuff has me listening to country music on the drive to and from whatever trail I'm going to run.  Sshhhh!! The kids would make so much fun of me if they knew!  It has been many, many years since I left behind my country music days, but man o man did I belt out Garth's AHBA (American Honky-Tonk Bar Association) after my run this morning!!  How I still know all the words I have no idea but it felt so good!!  Things are going to get real rowdy the first time I hear Friends in Low Places again....I may need to pull over to really do that one justice!!  If you see a  mini van pulled to the side of the road with the windows down and a salty, dust covered lady belting out a Garth song.....that's just me enjoying my new found freedom!

2 comments:

  1. I love you, Beth. You never fail to make me smile. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny! Welcome to my world of not being able to get enough trails. And liking country music (no way that works with Diane though).

    ReplyDelete