Thursday, May 10, 2012

Beachbody Week - Insanity



Insanity - Here is the site.

The Facts - 

"The secret to these mind-blowing INSANITY workout results: MAX Interval Training.

Shaun T took traditional interval training and flipped it on its head—you perform long bursts of maximum-intensity exercises with short periods of rest. Each INSANITY workout keeps you constantly challenged as you alternate between aerobic and anaerobic intervals performed at your MAX. The result: burn up to 1,000 calories in an hour and get the most insane body in 60 days." (source) 

What is Max Interval Training? -Because I would rather watch Shaun T than type, lets let Shaun T explain that:

 

What You Get -  The program is made up of 10 workouts.  You also get a nutrition plan, fitness guide, workout calendar (which includes a section to track your Fit Test results), and free online support tools.There are no additional products needed, such as weights or rollers.


(Source)
Cost -  3 payments of $39.95 (plus $24.95 s&h)

My Opinion - 
Well, this should not surprise most of you....I LOVE this program!!  I love every workout, I love the music, I don't find any of the workout people to be annoying.  Shaun T is not hard to be motivated by, nor is he there to act, be funny, say cute catchy phrases,  or mug for the camera.....he's just there to keep you moving through the workout.
(your welcome)-source

I did not follow the nutrition plan.  I do not change the way I eat for any fitness program.  Not that I do anything spectacular that I feel is "better" than anything else, I just maintain the way we eat and don't change things for programs, cleanses, fads, or "diets".  I eat as lean and healthy as possible all the time, regardless of what workout program I am doing.

 I enjoyed the fit test and seeing improvements over the weeks. James will mention the warm ups too, but I also found that just the warm up alone would have me sweating.  As a runner, the increase of strength in my legs was noticeable. I did not feel faster. If you are a runner, my recommendation would be to run before your workouts if possible.  There is a whole lot of jumping (plyometrics) in these workouts, and my legs would be fatigued by the end, which did affect my runs. I know it sounds weird to say I felt stronger and slower...the best I can explain is that with each push off I could feel the strength in the muscle, but my turnover was slower because I was tired.  Did it bother me enough to not do the program? No!  You all know I love working out, and I love at home workouts that are challenging and difficult to get through.  Insanity leaves me soaked in sweat and laying on the floor spent. This is the one workout I have been able to get the Hubby to do with me consistently when I am doing it. We both LOVE it.

Enough of my opinion, how about James?? He's currently doing round 2 of Insanity, and here's what he had to say:



INSANITY WORKOUTS

"I can't say enough positive things about this program. This is intensive and cardio-driven. I was pretty nervous to jump to this level of training because again I didn't think I could do it. But I again had to set my mind to it and just start.

The warm ups for me are a workout unto itself. They run you straight for about 9 to 12 minutes. By the time you're done with that, one is almost ready to end the workout and call it a day. Shawn T then moves into stretching (which is fine and useful, but rather boring since all the discs basically do the same thing). No real variety through this part of it. p90x offers much more flavor in the warmup department. Insanity cool downs are are about the same....kind of boring.

Shawn T is excellent trainer. Motivational. Pushes. Great music track to workout to. And Insanity primarily seems to focus on working the core which I really like. Where p90x focuses on all aspects of the body, Insanity really features cardio and the core specifically. If one doesn't like to run and use the core, better not to start this program.

Insanity also pushes you in areas where p90x doesn't. For example, many of the routines are 1 minute long and there are no breaks. The cardio workout as an example warms you up with 9 minutes of run/jump moves, then into the stretching and then runs you for another 12 minutes straight (no breaks). Other discs are interval training with 3 to 4 minutes straight of changing 1 minute routines and then they break you for 30 seconds. Hard not to be dripping in sweat after completing an Insanity workout. I've noticed in doing these workouts that my stamina for endurance has improved dramatically.....probably due to all the run moves. Given the choice of what program to start with, I'd start with p90x, then move to Insanity, then to p90x2 for specific finishing work (more later on that).

I've seen good physical results from Insanity. My body is more lean and friends have told me I'm thin! Go figure.

My overall impressions? I love this program too. Addictive and you want to keep up with Shawn T and his group. It's hard. It's tough. You'll want to collapse time and again (especially if you're in my age bracket .... I'm 51). Keep with it though and the results become obvious."

RATING: 9.5 (assuming a 1 to 10) standard

DIFFICULTY: 9 to 9.5 (assuming a 1 to 10) standard
MUSIC: Excellent. Fun to work out to
----------------------------------

I should mention that there is another Insanity workout out there called Asylum.  It is the newest addition to the Insanity workouts.  I have not done any research on it, nor do I know anyone who has it, but based on my knowledge of Insanity, I'm betting it's worth every penny! Check it out here.

Tomorrow Beachbody week continues with some info on becoming a p90x certified trainer.

No comments:

Post a Comment