Monday, November 7, 2011

First Day Back to Normal

Although I haven't blogged much about it, most of you know Brian has been unemployed since July 31st. July 31st was also the day of the San Fran marathon, which made for a weird day of emotions! We had 2 months notice before hand, so we knew around the beginning of June what was coming. We chose to keep it quiet for a variety of reasons, but mainly because the only thing to do was to stay calm, and focus on one day at a time. Of course, being a single income family of 5, losing the source of that income did bring about anxieties, but for the most part those remained unspoken. I think it would be accurate to describe us both as calm on the outside and a little jittery under the surface. Brian and I both knew the situation we were in, we knew he was very actively looking for work, and we knew we would make the most of the situation. Dwelling on it, talking about it w/people, stressing out, worrying.....none of that accomplishes anything, so why waste the time and energy??

So basically, the last 5 - 6 months have been filled w/random days. There has been no real schedule of workout days, run days, or days off. Having an extra person in the house somehow threw all normalcy out the window. I allowed it, no excuses. It's not that those things weren't happening. I was working out....sporadically. Brian and I had some great runs and races along the way....sporadically. We got 2 or 3 runs in a week. We did not get in 3 during the week and a long run on the weekends, which is our ideal schedule. I did not get 4 workouts in a week. His bike riding started out as hit and miss and as of late has been all miss, no hit. My weekly runs with the Beast have become a bit more....sporadic. Obviously this has not gone without the physical effects that come w/being sporadic. The scale has gone up, and my running times have slowed down significantly.

So while Brian is off to his new start today at Treasury Wine Estates in Napa, I am off to my new start at the Latham's House of Pain. We are 15ish weeks out from NVMarathon. We are using a 12 week training plan this time. The next 3 weeks are purely about dropping pounds before we start upping our miles. I have blogged before and said that I dont' workout and run to lose weight, and that is true. I do it because I love it and well, honestly when I'm in a routine it becomes a healthy addiction. But, I have always said I would be 100% honest on this blog, and the honest truth is that right now, for me, I am overweight and it feels like pooh. So for the next 3 weeks I am allowing myself to be concerned about the lbs and let the scale motivate me. I don't weigh myself on a regular basis because I do become obsessive about it, but for now, I need to let that happen. I will be 21 days into 60 days of Insanity workouts when we start our 12 weeks of training. I am not out to get ripped, but I would like to get back to where I was a year and a half ago, or at least where I was the last time we ran NVM. (see pic at bottom of the blog) Mostly I just want to be back in a good, normal routine, and feel healthy and fit!

So, here we go. Time to close the chapter on the last 5 months, and start a new one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment